Protecting a file and folder by password is a very good method of keeping it safe. In this way, only you shall be able to view that file and folder. The method of password protecting files in Windows 10 is completely the same as the earlier versions of Windows.
Method 1: By using encrypted file service
- Firstly, right-click the file or else the folder that you wish to encrypt.
- Then, visit the Properties.
- After that, visit the General tab and press the Advanced option.
- Below the ‘Compress and encrypt attributes’ part, press on ‘Encrypt content’ for keeping it safe.
- Next, press ‘OK.’
- Then, turn off the Properties window.
- After that, put the modifications to the folder, subfolder, and files whenever asked.
The method of backing up Encryption Key
- Firstly, press on Back up your encryption key on-screen option, whenever asked.
- Then, press on Backup Now option.
- After that, go through the steps from the wizard and do the same.
- Next, put and re-enter the password.
- Then, select a location wherever you’re going to save the certificate.
- After that, put a name to the encryption backup file.
- Then, press on Next.
- After that, press on Finish.
- Lastly, note that the backup has been done.
Method 2: Password protect a file with the help of a dedicated encryption tool
By chance, if you have a feeling that Windows’ encryption tool is not appropriate for the files, then you can go with any third-party encryption software. It is a better option because it gives you more options. This shall help you to protect your files completely. One of them is Lock Pro. It has wonderful options like hiding folders, files, and drives. It even can assist you in your daily work and also has Self-protection mode. Fortunately, there is a trial version available for download.
Method 3: By using Microsoft Office
- Firstly, visit the Office file that you wish to encrypt with the apt Office application.
- Then, visit the File Tab.
- After that, press on Protect the document. It shall be below info.
- Next, select Encrypt with a password.
- Then, put the password and click on Enter.
- After, put your password one more time.
- Next, press on ‘OK.’
- Note that the Office document must have encrypted, and you shall need to put a password for using it.